In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

"Her children arise and call her blessed. Her husband also, and he praises her.". Proverbs 31:28

How do you become a mother whose children and husband sing your praises like this? Obviously I'm just working on the becoming a mother thing but for most people, that's the easy part. In my mind, its not enough just to be a mother but instead we should strive to be mothers worthy of praise. This mother's day was hard for me. I don't know if it was harder than last year but I do know that I had to hold back the tears when they asked all the mothers in church to stand so that they could be applauded. I stood and watched, longingly...again. But as I've had to tell myself many times before, its not about me. It is about those that ARE mothers and even more so, those that are praiseworthy mothers. So I wanted to recognize some of the wonderful mothers in my life.

My sister-in-law Beth is a super mom. Seriously, she deserves a medal. She runs the household, keeps it clean, maintains a social life and always has a positive demeanor while feeding, bathing, loving, nurturing, teaching, and preaching to not one but TWO nine month olds. She is one of the best mothers I have ever seen and Gracie and Bailey, along with her husband Preston will surely arise and call her blessed.

My dear friend Kelly endures and perseveres through affliction for the love of her Baby Kate. As many mothers do, she sacrifices time, energy, sleep and her body to give everything to her newborn daughter.

My friend Holly loves her daughter Lilah with such a loving and joyful heart. She wants her daughter to grow up with a strong, working mother who loves the Lord and for that, Lilah will surely rise and call her blessed.

My friend Alecia fights for her children and for her marriage. Where most people would have been beat down through the tough times, she stood strong. She knows what it means to be "joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer" and for that, her family will arise and call her blessed.

My step-mother Debbie strives to show her daughters how her marriage and strong relationship with the Lord should always remain a priority.

My mother-in-law Becky loves and serves her church, her husband, her children and her grandchildren with a joyful heart. She manages her household beautifully and gives with a generous heart. We ALL arise and call her blessed.

My grandmother serves as the matriarch of our family. She always puts the needs of her family ahead of her own. She lovingly gives Biblical guidance, stern advice, and always the best Granny bear-hugs. For generations to come, we will rise and call her blessed.

Finally, most importantly, my mom. There are very few people in history that have loved and delighted in their children like my mom has. She gives when she has nothing to give, she loves no matter what. Even if she is usually late, she is always there. She can always make "it" better, no matter what "it" is. For all of these things and so much more, I arise and call her blessed.

Whether or not God chooses to bless me with children one day, I shall arise and say that I am blessed to have had such wonderful mothers in my life. To all these mothers and the ones I've left off, happy mother's day.

If you have a praiseworthy mother in your life, post a comment and let me know. :-)

1 comment:

  1. on mother's day, my facebook status read "a living, breathing child is not necessary to validate you as a mother. happy mothers day to all those who have children, whether they are living, in heaven or have 4 legs and are covered in fur." although our loving God has not blessed you with a child you get to keep, he has already named you a mother. as soon as your rasbaby was formed in your belly, you became a mother. once that title has been assigned, it can not be taken away. on top of this, you are an amazing mother already. the way you love your little rasbaby everyday and think of him/her so often and lovingly, and how if you had the chance, you would give up everything you have to give her life. that is what makes you a good mother. in addition to all of that... Hershey is the most loved and spoiled dog on earth. you put your needs before the dog's sometimes! and that is the heart of a good mother! a praiseworthy mother is not only one that is good to her children, a p31 woman also loves unconditionally to her husband, her home, her God, and even maybe her irritating roommate. although there are people in the world who would not consider you "a mother" the ones who know you and who love you know you already are and will forever hold the title of mom. Happy Mother's Day to you. you are an amazing, beautiful, and strong mother. i am so blessed i get to learn from you on how to be that also. i love you so much. <3

    ReplyDelete