In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Calling An Audible


I'm about to do something I don't think I've ever done on this blog...I'm going to talk football for a minute. I'm actually a big fan of the game, partly stemming from being a football cheerleader most of my youth but also due to the fact that I attended the University of Georgia...a drinking school with a football problem. It seems like every year my beloved bulldawgs break our hearts in some way. Like that Tennessee game last month...ouch. Or that time I almost went into labor with my son because the dawgs were *this* close to making it to the national title game. But that's not what I'm here to talk about today. (Collective sigh from all the non-football fans out there, as well as my fellow comrades still licking wounds from that last 4 seconds.) I want to talk about the concept of "calling an audible." In football, the offense typically decides what play they want to run before they get into formation. Occasionally, once they are in formation, the quarterback will change the play by audibly yelling out a new play, hence the term "calling an audible." Usually its done because once they're lined up, they get a glimpse of what the defense is planning on doing to try to stop them. UrbanDictionary.com defines this strategy of calling an audible as "deciding what to do at the last second after seeing all possible options and obstacles that come up." Basically, they decide on a well-thought-out plan and upon implementation of said plan, there's some new information that causes them to change the plan. Its a football term but its one of those phrases that has seeped into modern colloquialism. This week, our family called an audible.

Ever since my daughter was born that blessed, long day in March 2011, I have been praying about school. Should we do public, private, or homeschool? I've always truly admired moms who homeschool and have often wished I had the superhuman patience it must require. But alas, I do not. Private school also didn't seem like a viable option because I didn't think it was geographically or financially possible. So I guess you could say our original plan was conceived mostly by process of elimination. I never felt entirely comfortable with it (even though my husband and I both survived public school relatively unscathed). However, years of prayers went seemingly unanswered so in August, my daughter started public school. We were happy with the school, loved her teachers, and saw amazing and limitless ministry opportunities where she was. Yet from day one, I was uneasy. I brushed it off as kindergarten-mom nerves and pushed through. The first week of school when she noticed nobody prayed, we had to explain why. When she brought in her Bible for show-and-tell, we had to explain why her teacher wasn't allowed to read it to her and the class. She was noticeably distraught about the fact that something we speak so freely about at home seemed to be a no-no at school. Then about 3 weeks ago, she began asking us "When can I go to Bible school?" At first, we didn't really understand what she meant. Then a few days later, she said "Mommy, can you find me a school where they're allowed to pray and teach me about Jesus?" (I know, right? So stinking sweet. Where did this kid come from??) Then she asked again a few days later. And again.

In the midst of this, I was reminded of Matthew 7:9-11. Jesus was teaching his disciples about prayer and seeking God. He said "Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" My kids ask me for bread almost daily. I don't always comply with their request but I've never offered a stone in its place. Usually, if they finish their dinner first, I'll give them bread because I love bread and I love my kids. They (like most kids) ask for outrageous things all the time and I have zero hesitation in saying no. But my child was asking for something good. She was asking for Jesus, who incidentally called himself the bread of life (John 6:35).

Last week, I sat at my computer looking at an application for a private school 1.3 miles from my house. I prayed for wisdom to make the right decision and discernment to know that my motives were pure. I prayed for provision for the unexpected cost and confirmation that this was the right choice. We hadn't mentioned any of this to her yet, but as I prayed over that application, she walked in the door and asked again, "Mommy, can you please find me a new school where they're allowed to pray and teach me about Jesus?" I applied then and there. Exactly one week later, she began a new chapter at a school where she can talk about, ask questions about, learn about, and freely share about this person she's falling in love with named Jesus.

Proverbs 19:21 says "Many are the plans in person's heart but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." I believe sometimes we have to take a step in seemingly the wrong direction in order to get on the path God has for us. It doesn't mean it was the wrong direction, though it often seems counterintuitive. I have to go south out of my neighborhood in order to go north on the highway. It might seem counterproductive to start moving in the wrong direction but often its the only way that gets us to where we need to go. We didn't make the "wrong choice" by going to public school, nor do I have anything negative to say about our experience there. We simply had to trust in God, move in the direction we felt He was leading us, and then be open to hearing Him call the audible.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! So glad that she can pray at school now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a blessed to my heart today. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are listing and obeying the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will never regret this decision Nicole.....I am praying that your entire family will be blessed through Horizon.

    ReplyDelete