In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Coconut Shrimp/Pecan Encrusted Snapper

Tonight for dinner, I went up to the local seafood market and asked for the freshest things they had. Shrimp (caught today) and snapper (caught yesterday). Here's what I came up with.

Coconut Shrimp

1/2 lb medium sized shrimp
1/2 lemon
1 egg, beaten
2 handfuls shredded coconut
1 handful flour
Canola oil

Peel shrimp, leaving tail on. De-vein, rinse and put all shrimp in a bowl. Squeeze half of a lemon over shrimp. Meanwhile, heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Mix coconut and flour in a bowl. Dredge shrimp one at a time in egg, then in the flour coconut mixture. Fry in oil until shrimp is pink and coconut is slightly browned. Drain on paper towels and serve with dipping sauce of your choice. I used a thai sweet chili sauce and it was delicious. :-)

Pecan Encrusted Snapper with Mango Salsa

1 1-lb filet of snapper
1/2 lemon
1 egg, beaten
1 handful pecan, finely chopped
Salt and Pepper
EVOO

Squeeze half lemon over filet of snapper. Let rest at room temperature about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, heat EVOO in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge filet in egg then coat in chopped pecans. Season with salt and pepper. The filet that I bought had skin on one side so I just put the pecans on the fleshy side, not the skin side. Place filet pecan side down (skin side up) in the skillet and saute until cooked halfway. Using a spatula, flip filet over and cook the rest of the way through. When cooked through, top with mango salsa and serve.

Mango Salsa

1/2 mango, diced
1/4 small red onion, finely diced
1/4 green bell pepper, finely diced
Splash of champagne vinegar
Juice from half a lemon
Salt and pepper (to taste)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and let sit for at least half an hour at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment