In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Friday, June 18, 2010

Vinaigrette 101

Vinaigrettes are so easy to make but most people are intimidated to make them. Here's a "Vinaigrette 101" for those willing to experiment a little with homemade dressings! Be creative, have fun!

Basic Vinaigrette

1/4 C vinegar
1/2 EVOO
Salt and pepper to taste

I like the 2:1 ratio of EVOO to vinegar. With that in mind, feel free to use any kind of vinegar you like! My favorites are champagne, balsamic and red wine. I also really like garlic so I usually put one clove in a recipe this size.

Variations:
-Substitute real wine for half the vinegar.
-Substitute citrus juice for half the vinegar. I've used lemon a lot but I also love blood orange juice and grapefruit. I think these taste best with a white vinegar, like white wine or champagne.
-Add a teaspoon of your favorite mustard for a mustard vinaigrette. The mustard binds the oil and vinegar together so they don't separate. You can add a little honey too for a honey mustard vinaigrette!
-Add fresh herbs and spices to change up the flavor. Fresh basil is delicious in vinaigrettes! Also, dill, rosemary or thyme. You can also add some red pepper flakes to make a spicy dressing.
-You can add chopped kalamata or green olives, sun-dried tomatoes or roasted garlic for different flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment