Why do we love our children so much? Have you ever thought about it? They come out completely and utterly dependent on us, never thanking us for feeding them, clothing them or putting a roof over their head. It takes months for them to really start to love us back and even then, they require a lot more love than they give in return. Over the years, they make poor choices and rebel against us, all the while requiring much more of everything than they give in return. Yet we love them wholly and unconditionally. Why is that? Is that because we made them? Because they are little adorable creatures, made in our image? Adopted children don't come to a family the same way that natural born children do but most of the parents of these adopted children love them the same, if not more, than parents who conceive and give birth to theirs. I can't explain it. But when I look into my daughter's eyes, there is nothing in the world I wouldn't do for her. Lately she has started to wrap her little arms around my neck and "hug" me when I hold her. It is one of the first signs that she looks at me as more than the milk lady. It melts my heart. I want to hold her like that for hours, days, just relishing in her returned favor. I love her with my entire heart and have truly loved her since even before she was conceived. I love all of my future children already and I can't wait to meet them.
I often think about what my life will look like if God chooses to bless me with the large family I'm hoping for. I daydream about a house filled with laughter and running and playing and singing. I look forward to carpools and baseball practice, dance recitals and packing lunches. I look forward to teaching my kids about our world and about Jesus, instilling in them a strong set of values and teaching them right from wrong. I know they won't always make wise decisions but I'll love them despite that. I know they'll never love me in return to the extent that I love them but that doesn't bother me at all. I know that they might even turn away from me for a minute, a day or a season...but I'll always love them and welcome them back.
Is this how God loves us?? I think that having a child and becoming a parent has given me an entirely different and beautiful perspective on the love that our Heavenly Father has for us. We are here in this world because He created us in it. We rely on Him for eveything yet very rarely give Him the credit or thanks that He deserves. But He doesn't mind. Even despite that, He lavishly pours out more blessings over us. We make poor choices and rebel against Him yet He loves us still. He doesn't love us any more when we follow His commands but smiles knowing that it will keep us from harm. He loves us when we don't love Him back and He waits patiently for our return when we turn away from Him. No matter how many times we turn away, He's always waiting with arms wide open. There's nothing in this world He wouldn't give for us...including His only Son. He created us...wait for it...simply to love us. Wow. That is what I call crazy, irrational, perfect love.
No comments:
Post a Comment