In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Mother's Day

Wow, what an amazingly blessed Mother's Day I had this year!!! I thought about it the other day and I have been waiting for a good Mother's Day for 3 years now. Mother's Day 2008 we had just started trying to have a baby. I was so excited and looking forward to the next Mother's Day when I figured I would have my own baby. Then Mother's Day 2009 ended up being particularly heartbreaking, being that it was less than 2 months after our miscarriage. I remember sitting in church when they asked all the mothers to stand up and be recognized. I had to leave the auditorium to cry. By Mother's Day 2010, I was dreading the day. A few tears fell during church but we had schedule the endometriosis surgery by then and I was cautiously optimistic.

This Mother's Day was the one I had been waiting for, 3 years late. Parker took the late night feeding so I was able to get a little sleep. We got dressed up the next morning and went to church. I was sure not to be late because come hell or high water, I was standing in church that morning! :-) When the pastor asked the mothers to stand, I might have been the first one up, practically jumping up and down waving my arms. This year I cried happy tears as I looked down at my sweet Mary Elizabeth and locked eyes with my hubby, who was applauding with more energy than most.

I loved walking around church showing her off to all my friends and coworkers, as everyone wished me a happy first Mother's Day. After church, Parker had arranged for my mom to come over and spend the day with her grandbaby. Then he and I went up to north Georgia to one of the vineyards and had a date. At first, I felt like I should spend the day with Mary Elizabeth, since I am her mother. But then I thought about it and I realized that I wasn't the only one who had waited for this day. Parker had waited just as long. My mom had waited just as long too. The day wasn't just about me but a day that had been long awaited by many. So my mom enjoyed every second of her Mother's Day by spending it with Mary Elizabeth. I enjoyed my day by spending it with my hubby and talking about Mary Elizabeth the whole time! After the vineyard, we went down to Alpharetta to a little Italian restaurant that I love. We had a great day just talking and enjoying each other's company. At the end of our date, he gave me a beautiful diamond tennis bracelet in honor of being a mommy. What a sweet man.

By the time dinner was over, I was so ready to get home and see Mary Elizabeth! Her and I snuggled for an hour or two on the couch before going to bed. It was the perfect ending to the perfect day.

Here is one happy and blessed mamma!


Pretty girl! All dressed up for her mom!



Parker and I on our date.

No comments:

Post a Comment