In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, May 16, 2011

Great-Granny

This past weekend, I took Mary Elizabeth up to Virginia to meet her great-grandmother for the first time. My mom went with us and we drove up Wednesday. It was quite an adventure just getting there! It is about a 10 hour drive so I was glad to have my mom with me. The day started with a dead car battery which we were able to jump and get a few hours into the trip. Then it died completely and between getting towed and waiting at the mechanic, our 10 hour trip turned into a 12.5 hour trip. By the time we got to our hotel, it was too late and we were too exhausted to go see Granny.

On Thursday, the plan was to meet up with Granny at her work after lunch. That morning, I went and got my first pedicure since Mary Elizabeth was born. I took her with and she slept in the sling the whole time. It was heavenly for this mamma getting sone much needed pampering while snuggling my sweet girl! We met Granny at the nursing home where she works that afternoon. At almost 80, my tough Granny works at a nursing home instead of living at one! It was so sweet to see her fall in love at first sight with her great-granddaughter! She was so proud and took her around to show her off to all her friends.

The rest of the weekend, we just sort of hung out enjoying each other's company. For some reason, Mary Elizabeth cried almost every time Granny would hold her. I hated that for Granny but babies will cry I guess. The one evening, Mary Elizabeth was fussy so Granny started playing the organ for her. As she played "Amazing Grace" and "Jesus Loves Me," Mary Elizabeth stopped crying and just listened contentedly to the music. It was a very sweet moment for me. I hadn't heard Granny play in years and it brought me back to my childhood. My mom got a little emotional too, watching Mary Elizabeth quite down to the sounds of Granny's music.

I love this picture. Taken right after Granny soothed her with the organ.


Throughout the weekend, Granny kept saying how much Mary Elizabeth looked just like I did when I was her age. I am her first granddaughter and now I've given her the first great-grandchild. It was such an amazing blessing to see my Granny, who I've always had such a special bond with, holding my daughter. Over the years, between infertility and Granny's poor health, I wondered if I'd ever get to see that. I am so thankful for this direct answer to prayer.

All weekend, Granny had been scrolling through my phone, admiring pictures of Mary Elizabeth and telling me which ones she wanted copies of. On Friday, I went and printed about 50 of them and put them in frames and an album for her for Mother's Day. She absolutely it! She couldn't wait to bring it to work and show her friends. I was even able to print pictures from the day before with Granny holding her. It was so sweet watching her look through that album over and over again.

The last day we were there, I took Parker and Mary Elizabeth over to Virginia Beach for lunch. We ate yummy seafood and just hung out and talked for a while. It seems like those times are fewer and further between so we really enjoyed it. We even stumbled upon an international wine tasting that we gained free entrance to because the ticket lady thought the baby was so cute! That night, we went and spent a few last hours hanging out with Granny. She loved on the baby and told us stories about our family history and her life. It is so neat to hear stories from older generations that shed light on current ones.

It was hard to leave. Unfortunately, I don't get to see my Granny often enough. She always lived with us or at least near us growing up but now I only see her about once every other year. I wish we lived closer so that she could watch Mary Elizabeth grow up and they could have the kind of relationship her and I did when I was a kid. It does make me even more grateful that Mary Elizabeth has both of her grandmothers close by.

Granny holding her great-granddaughter for the first time.




Four generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment