Pregnancy cravings are really fun for someone who loves to cook as much as I do! Today I had a craving for some fried eggplant. It was weird because I normally don't like eggplant like that, breaded and fried. But that is exactly what I wanted! Hot, crispy, delicious eggplant with tomato. Since I've never liked it before, I've never made it before. I knew exactly what I wanted though and it turned out awesome. It was similar to what most people think of as traditional eggplant parmesan. After I made it, Parker said, "Hey, you're not supposed to be eating eggplant!" I had no idea what he was talking about because eggplant is certainly a pregnancy-friendly food. He said that he was on to me, trying to go into labor early. Apparently, he thought I was trying my hand at the Scalini's tradition! In Atlanta, there's a restaurant called Scalini's that has a famous eggplant parmesan that supposedly sends women into labor. We've talked about going there on March 16, hoping for a St. Patty's day baby! We'll see. If I go in the next 24 hours though, I'm definitely opening a restaurant! Mary Elizabeth certainly liked it and moved like crazy the entire time I was eating but I doubt we'll see an early debut. Here's my creation...enjoy!
Fried Eggplant with Tomato
1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices
About 2-3 cups vegetable or canola oil (or any kind of frying oil)
1 cup flour
2 eggs
2 cups panko bread crumbs
1 Tbls dry oregano
1 Tbls kosher salt
1/2 Tbls dry thyme
1/2 Tbls garlic powder
1 ts black pepper
3 Tbls EVOO
1/2 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 15oz can petite diced tomatoes
Pinch dry oregano
Salt and pepper
Parmiggiano reggiano
In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. You can also use a deep-fryer if you want.
In a skillet, make the tomato relish by heating the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and diced garlic and saute until soft, taking care not to burn them. Add tomatoes and season with pinch of dry oregano, salt and pepper. Let simmer over medium heat until the tomatoes are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated. It should be a thick, chunky sauce.
While the tomatoes simmer and the oil heats up, set up a "breading station" by placing 3 bowls in a row. In the first, put the flour. In the second, crack the eggs and beat with a fork. In the third, mix the panko bread crumbs, 1 Tbls oregano, 1 Tbls salt, thyme, garlic powder and pepper. Bread each slice of eggplant by coating in the flour, then coating in the egg, then finally coating in the bread crumb mixture. Once all of the slices are breaded, fry them 1 or 2 at a time, depending on the size of the pot. Don't overcrowd it. Turn the slices in the oil so that they brown evenly on both sides. Fry about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
To serve, top with tomato and a sprinkle of fresh-grated parmiggiano reggiano. I made this recipe as a side item. However, you can also serve it over pasta like an eggplant parm for a main course.
*CF/GF
This recipe is casein-free without adding the cheese. You won't even miss it, its so flavorful without! If you wanted to try it gluten-free, you can substitute the flour and breadcrumbs for gluten-free versions. I've found in the past that when frying gluten-free breadcrumbs, they tend to burn easily to be careful!
Nic, this one just seems weird.
ReplyDelete