In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Friday, January 14, 2011

Gluten-Free, Casein/Dairy-Free Recipes

As some of you know, I found out about 3 years ago that I have some very annoying food allergies. I always figured I was allergic to something I was eating but could never pinpoint exactly what it was because for a while, I was just sick all the time. After a few different (and expensive) tests, I discovered I had severe soy and dairy (casein) allergies, along with moderate allergies to malt and barley. In order to get my system back in decent shape, I've done 2 elimination diets, cutting out gluten, dairy, soy, etc, etc. I'm not lactose-intolerant, I am actually allergic to the protein in dairy, which is called casein. The difference is that lactose-intolerant pretty much just means you lack the enzymes to digest dairy. The good news about that is you can take an enzyme supplement and be fine. Of course, I couldn't have that one. I had to have the one that "might" get better if you cut it out of your diet for a few years. After eliminating dairy for the past 3 years, I have been re-introducing it into my diet since I found out that I was pregnant. Upon doing so, I've discovered a few things. 1) I am now lactose-intolerant. If you eliminate dairy, apparently your body decides that you no longer need those dairy enzymes so it stops making them. Nothing a little digestive enzymes can't fix. 2) Cheese is digested differently than milk and cream. Because it is aged, the protein gets broken down and is easier to digest than milk or cream. I can eat cheese (in moderation) but still don't do well with milk or cream. 3) I really missed dairy. Literally, when I found out that I was allergic to dairy, I had 11 different types of cheese in my house. ELEVEN! I love all cheeses and have really missed them!

Recently, my sister and my mom have been diagnosed with similar allergies (which came to no surprise to me, as I've been telling them to get tested for years). They have been told to do the "eliminate everything delicious" diet for a month as well. Because of my experience with it, I have learned how to alter recipes to make them gluten-free and dairy/casein-free as necessary. So going forward, I'm going to try to add notes to all my recipes on substitutions that can be made for those with dietary restrictions. I'm also going to try to go back over all my old recipes and do the same. (Be patient, it might take me a little while.) A few notes though on my definition of GFCF (gluten-free, casein-free). I am not an expert on either. If you see in error in my recipe, don't make it and get sick...I would feel bad. Let me know though, leave me a comment if you feel I've made a judgement error. Also, sometimes I forget that a recipe with a tablespoon of butter is technically not dairy-free because I've always been able to eat butter. If I forget that, you can usually substitute olive oil, grapeseed oil or a non-dairy butter substitute. I do not advocate "fake butter" though. If you can help it, use something natural like olive oil. Lastly, if you're gluten-free, you know your restrictions better than I do. Some people are strict enough to seek out everything that is gluten-free, like ketchup or canned veggies. Again, use your judgement.

You'll find a gluten-free and casein-free link on the left side of my blog. It never seems fair when "foodies," people who just love to cook and eat, find out that the food they love is no good for them. But there is hope! I hope that my recipes will help you find things that you can eat or at least inspire you to try expanding outside your comfort zone. Enjoy and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment