In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, July 26, 2010

Rough Road Ahead

This week I've been on a road trip around the country. It started because we bought my dad's car so I had to fly up to Minnesota to pick it up. From there, it is an 18 hour drive home so I decided to stop by Chicago for a few days and visit family. On my way to Chicago yesterday, I went through some construction and there was a sign that side "Rough Road Ahead." The only thing I could was laugh to myself. Wouldn't it be great if life came with warning signs? Rough Road Ahead, Detour, Be Prepared to Stop, Do Not Enter. I could've used a Rough Road Ahead sign about two and half years ago.

Saturday I spent all day with my dad and it felt like I was in high school again. He filled my gas tank, bought me dinner and watched me drive off like I was leaving for college all over again. Yesterday I spent the day at my uncle and aunt's house, a place I haven't slept in since I was in middle school and used to come visit every summer. Of course, my mind drifted back there and I couldn't help but think about how simple life used to be. I never thought about infertility and pregnancy loss. My biggest concerns were what to wear to school the next day and if the boy down the street thought I was cute. I wonder at that point if I would've even paid attention to the signs in the road or if I just would've tried to steal them as dorm decor.

At the same time, I'm here in a house with 5 children between the ages of 8 and 20. The 3 oldest cousins were babies when I was in high school and now they're graduating high school and going to college. I remember being the flower girl in my aunt and uncle's wedding, I remember when all their kids were born and now their kids are all growing up and moving out. It feels like at the same time that I'm looking back to high school, I'm looking forward to a future I hope to have. A house full of kids, a 20+ year strong marriage, a great career.

I wonder what my sign would say now? Are there still rough roads ahead or are they coming to an end? Am I going to be detoured and have to find a new way? I guess time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment