In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Viva Espana!


Today we had a day of rest. I don’t remember the last time I slept until 12:15pm but I did so proudly today. I woke up finally feeling rested and well after being here almost 5 days. By the time I woke up, breakfast was over (barely) so it was time to go straight to lunch. I think all the bread and salad finally caught up with me because I ordered a steak for lunch and hoovered it. It was a fairly uneventful day but so very necessary. Parker and I went over to the Carrefour this afternoon with Dani and Mari. Tonight we’ve invited people to stay after camp to watch the soccer. Spain is playing Portugal in the semi-finals of the Eurocup and it is a VERY big deal here! Portugal is a rival of theirs and whoever wins tonight plays for the championship Sunday. Parker and I offered to provide food and drinks for the party, knowing that more people would be likely to stay if there was free food. If there’s one thing we know how to do well, its throw a football party...any kind of football!
Tonight was very exciting for all the students at camp. The curriculum for today was sports, which was perfect. We had no idea Spain would be playing in the semi-finals tonight so it was a like a little wink from God that it was a part of the plan. We ended class early so that we could play the game. It was amazing. The amount of people that stayed, especially people that don’t attend at Parque Este, was incredible. I have never been into soccer but you can’t help but get excited and into the game when you’re surrounded by proud and excited fans. The game was a little boring and ended up in overtime with a score of 0-0. In the final overtime, each team gets to attempt 5 goals with a player one-on-one with the opposing goalie. Spain won by one point. Big win for the country, bigger win for the church being packed full with new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment