I thought for sure I would get a good night’s sleep last
night. Doesn’t there come a point in time where your body has no other choice
but to sleep?? I thought surely I was there yesterday but apparently not. So
today, I’m dragging. But it was the first day of camp so there was a lot to do!
We woke up and had breakfast at the hotel again. Call me boring but I’ve been
pretty consistent in my breakfast of fresh-squeezed orange juice, Spanish
coffee, bread with olive oil, and a potato cake with salmorejo, which is
similar to a finely ground salsa. Very tasty. We spent most
of the day at Parque Este preparing for camp. Before this year, the most
they have had sign up for class was 50. This year, we had 95 students sign-up!!
We have been praying that good would multiply our opportunities here and he
certainly has! In fact, people were walking up to the church all day signing up
at the last minute! It was amazing. We laid out the plans for how the day and
the week would go and got the church all set up. It was interesting trying to
arrange chairs and white boards around to somehow fit 6 (!) groups in the a
church that has one main common space, a small nursery space, and an upstairs
loft. I was able to pull from my years of checking in middle school students
for events to help arrange an efficient flow to get everyone checked in and in
their group. It was especially challenging knowing that the culture here is to
leisurely arrive “around starting time,” as opposed to a few minutes early that
is normal in the U.S. For lunch, we ate sandwiches and chips in the church and
enjoyed some good conversation and fellowship. It has really been amazing how
well we’ve been able to communicate with each other. Pepe and Mari speak very
little English and most of our team speaks very little Spanish. Luckily, we do
have one native Spanish-speaker on our team, Clara, as well as Pepe and Mari’s
children Dani and Maria, who both speak English fluently.
In the afternoon, we were able to have another siesta at the
hotel, which was so incredibly essential. I was out cold for about an hour and
really could have kept sleeping probably all the way through the night. After
our naps, we started team devotions before going back to the church. It was so
nice to meet together as a team and spend some time especially focused on the
Word and being intentional about our task here.
The first night of camp went pretty well, although it was
very LOUD!! The whole church is so open and was so packed with people that you
could hardly hear yourself thinking. I’m under the impression that this is
normal for the Spanish culture because although it seemed to stress out the
Americans, the Spaniards didn’t seem too bothered by it. I wonder if it goes
back to our lack of regular community in the U.S. Have we become such an
isolated culture because of technology and distance that we are more accustomed
to silence than the rest of the world?
My class so far consists of 2 little girls named Esther and
Carmen, and 3 little boys named Quique, Bruno, and Martin. Quique and Bruno are
twins and they’re stinking adorable, as are the rest of them. We did basic
introductions and numbers today. Its funny because no matter how many times I
tell them I don’t speak Spanish, they continue to ask me questions and engage
in seemingly very serious conversation in Spanish. Sometimes I just nod and let
them talk because listening to little kids speak another language is adorable.
However, there are times when I can sense that they’re clearly asking a
question that they are expecting a response from. That’s when I say, “Go ask
Maria.” J
Maria is Pepe and Mari’s daughter and she’s my helper in class. I don’t know
what I’d do without her!
Despite the fact that we were all exhausted, we had to eat
dinner. I’m beginning to think if left to my own devices, I would end up
skipping dinner a lot. We usually don’t get to the restaurant until after 10
and by then, I’m much more interested in sleeping. Tonight we went to an
American style restaurant called Sloppy Joe’s. The company was great, the food
was nothing special. It was fun though and I’m happy to sacrifice a little
sleep in favor of building relationships with the sweet people of Parque Este.
No comments:
Post a Comment