FINALLY got a good night’s sleep last night!! Between my
full night of rest of my full cup of Spanish coffee this morning, I started the
day feeling like a million bucks. We went to the church mid-morning to do some
set-up and make some shopping lists. For lunch, we went to their version of
Wal-Mart. It is a store called Carrefour and it literally felt just like good
ole Wally Mart back home. There was a McDonald’s (to which I said pass) and a
Spanish-style cafeteria where we ate lunch. It was certainly nothing to write
home about, though I was not very adventurous. Call me crazy but would you
order any sort of seafood or meat products from a cafeteria inside a Wal-Mart??
No thanks. I opted for rice and veggies with a salad, which was about as
exciting as it sounds. But at least it was safe and identifiable! Afterwards,
we walked around the store shopping for fun prizes and giveaways for the kids.
I had a lot of fun picking out candy and little toys that went along with the
themes for the upcoming days. I went to pay for it myself and Stephanie said
that we had the budget for things like that as a team. I told her that I didn’t
mind paying because I really wanted to do something special for my cute, crazy
little bunch. She said, “Nicole, let your supporters support you.” Well put. So
for those of you that supported us on this trip, I wish you could’ve seen the
looks on the kids’ faces when we played animal bingo tonight with brightly
colored caramelos (candies) as place markers. I also got a package of little
plastic puzzles that were maybe 8 for $1, they kind you would put into a grab
bag at a kid’s birthday party. They loved them so much that I was barely able
to keep them focused on the lesson after they won their premios (prizes). Thank
you my sweet supporters for giving me those precious moments.
After Carrefour, we got to rest a little before heading back
to the church. We didn’t have time to nap and I didn’t really feel like I
needed one. Instead, I spent some time checking in on Facebook and Skyping with
my little girl. It’s amazing how well we (I) have done being so far from her
for so long. Skype has certainly helped and she seems to do well with it. I
think it helps that we often FaceTime with her papa and aunt Krista at home so
it’s not a foreign concept for her. But she has actually been interactive and
seems to enjoy talking with mom and dad on the computer. Of course I miss her
but it doesn’t hurt my heart like it did in Cabo. I don’t really know why it’s
different but theories abound. It could be because Cabo was the first time away
from her or because that was purely selfish (though essential for the long-term
health of my marriage). It could be because I am so incredibly far away that I
have no choice to surrender to God’s will. It could also be because this stage
that she is in has really left me needing a break so badly that I’m actually
enjoying it! Or it could be that God has answered my prayers by giving me His
peace that transcends all understanding. Either way, it has been fine. Loving
on all the sweet little Spaniards here doesn’t hurt either!
Class tonight was a little bit more fun than yesterday,
though yesterday was great. Today I knew what to expect a little bit more from
my group and we rearranged the room a little so it wasn’t so loud. We had one
more little guy join us tonight, Manuel. He’s the youngest at 5 and the
tiniest. But he rocks the cutest little fohawk on the planet. We talked about
animals, ate candy, and took some cute pictures.
For dinner, we tried to get some tapas close to the church
but were unsuccessful at our first place. Even though it was past 10 when we
sat down, it was still way too hot to sit outside with the misting fans that a
lot of restaurants around here have. So we moved to a place with one of those
and a more promising menu. The one dish we got was supposed to have a mix of
pork, beef, and chicken. I had also asked for a separate plate of just beef
with tomatoes. (I actually didn’t know the word for beef so I literally asked
for cow with tomatoes.) They did not bring my cow and the “mixed plate” was
really 4 different kinds of pork. I feel like the guy from My Big Fat Greek
Wedding when he tells the family he’s a vegetarian and they tell him, “That’s
ok, we have lamb.” I tell the server that I don’t like pork and he says, “That’s
ok, we have sausage.” Luckily the salad and bread were delicious as always. I
also had some patates bravos (essentially Spanish steak fries) and some more
tasty salmorejo (a little, cold tomato soup that puts gazpacho to shame, in my
meager opinion). If I come back skinny as a rail, it is not for lack of trying
to stuff my face as often as possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment