This past Tuesday, I hit 37 weeks. That means that Mary Elizabeth is officially full term!! I can't believe that there's a full grown newborn in my belly right now! Even more so, I can't believe that at full term, she's still hanging out in there fattening up! I don't know what it was about turning 37 weeks but it made me a little over-zealous to have her here. Okay, maybe a LOT over-zealous! I've been trying out all the old wives tales all week long trying to hurry things along. First, I went and had a pedicure and asked them rub the pressure points that you're supposed to avoid early in pregnancy. Apparently, there are pressure points somewhere on the inside of your ankles that can induce labor. The manicurist took her job very seriously and though it didn't work to put me into labor, I did end up with some bruises on my feet from her efforts. Then I decided to make Scalini's eggplant parmesan. Scalini's is a restaurant in Atlanta that has an eggplant parm recipe that's famous for sending women into labor. On Monday, I decided that I would go ahead and give it a shot since I had the day off work and I knew the recipe would take a few hours. The first grocery store I went to didn't have any eggplant, of course. A voice in the back of my head said, "Maybe its a sign that its still too early." I quickly ignored the little voice and went to a second grocery store. No eggplant there either. I did take that one as a sign and made some shrimp and leek pasta instead. However, Tuesday rolled around and I thought I'd give it another shot. Went to a different grocery store and low and behold, eggplant. So I made it Tuesday night and followed the recipe to a T, which is something I never do! Apparently, the recipe is meant to serve about 20 people so I ended up with 2 huge pans of eggplant parm. We ate is Tuesday night, Wednesday for lunch and Wednesday for dinner...and that was just the first pan! Needless to say, I'm not in labor. I did have some pretty intense contractions after every time I ate it so I would definitely say that I'm a believer in the eggplant! I froze the second pan and will be eating that one in another week or two. Hopefully, we'll have more productive results! Speaking of productive results, my doctor said that although I'm not dilated at all, I am about 50% effaced so at least we're making some progress. I keep telling Mary Elizabeth that she can come out at any time now but she seems pretty content on staying in. I am sorry to say that my theory on babies being like carp that stop growing once they've outgrown their living space is simply untrue. She continues to grow despite the fact that I know she is incredibly cramped. I had Parker take a picture this week and when I saw it, I screamed "Holy crap, is that what I look like?!?" Sort of like a human lollipop.
I am still feeling pretty good though. I sleep pretty well most nights and feel rested. I don't have the back and sciatic pain that plagued me through about half of my pregnancy. It funny to think that its almost over. I was thinking back last night to over two and half years of negative pregnancy tests. At the doctor's office Wednesday, as I sat there waiting for him to come tell me that I was surely about to go into labor (which of course he didn't), I thought back to the eager anticipation I used to feel waiting for him to come tell me that I was surely pregnant (which of course he didn't do that either of two and half years). So many memories of daydreaming and waiting and hoping that I would finally get pregnant, only to be disappointed time and time again. Now, its almost over. Even still, I don't know that I would say that its gone by quickly. It seems like I've been pregnant forever. But for the first time, I really have realized that after all we've been through, she will literally be here before I know it. At most, we're a few short weeks away. She could decide to make her grand entrance any day now.
Yesterday I was at Babies 'R Us and Target, getting a few last minute necessities, and I saw the "big girl" car seat that I had decided on. However, this one was 20% off and I had a coupon for another 10% off. I called my sister-in-law and she confirmed that it was a great deal so although I wasn't planning on buying it for a few more months, I went ahead and got it. I started to think about how quickly she'd be in it and how it was probably a good thing to have it for her as soon as she's ready. Then last night, I was sitting in her room, rocking in the glider and just looking around and daydreaming about her life, and I thought about how so many people have told me how quickly they grow up. Pregnancy creeps by but real life just flies. I thought about how I'll probably feel like I blink my eyes and she'll be 1, then I'll blink again and she'll be going off to college. I know its silly but I started to cry thinking about her growing up and leaving me. Of course, that's exactly when Parker walked in the room and looked at me like a crazy woman as I sat there holding her baby book, crying by myself in the rocking chair. I just really hope and pray that I remember to enjoy every minute of her little life and every minute of her wanting to be with me. Working with middle schoolers, I know there will come a time where she won't want anything to do with me.
Anyways, that's where I am right now! Not horribly uncomfortable and counting the seconds until its over. I am just so incredibly excited to meet her and keep praying that she would come in God's perfect timing...and that His perfect timing is soon!
I love, love, love rocking in my rocking chair. In the begining I called it my prayer chair and whenever I rocked my sweet babies I would pray for couples trying to get pregnant, especially you and Parker! Now at 19 months, I still rock and pray...sometimes I question whether I should still be rocking my babies but I figure as long as they will lay their sweet head on my chest then I will continue to rock. I am so excited for you and Parker and can't wait till your sweet Mary Elizabeth is laying her head on your chest while you rock away! My advice is that if you pray as long as you rock then you and your family will have peace.
ReplyDelete