For those of you that know me well, you know I would never choose gluten free. I love any and all things gluten. I'm sort of on the gluten-full, no carb left behind diet. I'm not suggesting it but it works for me. However, my dear mamma and sista are both gluten free, so sad. I cook GF for them all the time. I've found that once you know you're way around the kitchen and the all-natural section of the grocery store, you're in good shape. Most recipes just require a little creativity in substitution. So because I'm a grown up and I get to do whatever I want to do, we're starting with desserts. (Sorry not sorry.) I have finally set the dessert menu: GF Chocolate-Bourbon Pecan Pie, GF Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Pie, and GF Turtle Pumpkin Cheesecake. So I'm assuming I have your attention now?? Ok good. All three recipes are ones that I've found online and tweaked if necessary.
For our first masterpiece, let's start with:
Chocolate-Bourbon Pecan Pie
This is actually a Paula Deen recipe and I've made it for years. Its so good! For the original, click here.
Ingredients
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked GF pie shell (The one that I'm using is a box by Glutino. I found it at our Super Target and it is specifically for pie crust)
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons good-quality bourbon (There's an interesting article on why bourbon is GF, put out by the Celiacs people. If you want to confirm, take their word for it and click here.
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (Check to make your chocolate doesn't contain gluten. Some do.)
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Cover bottom of pie crust with pecans.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and melted butter. Add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon and the chopped chocolate. Stir until all ingredients are combined. Pour mixture into the pie shell over the pecans and place on a heavy-duty cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes. Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for an additional 25 minutes or until pie is set. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Next up:
Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Pie
Prep Time20 min
Total Time3 hr 0 min
Servings6
(For original recipe, visit good ole Betty Crocker here.)
Ingredients
- 3 cups Chocolate Chex™ cereal, finely crushed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 12 oz semisweet baking chocolate, chopped, plus more for chocolate shavings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa, sifted
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg plus 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream, plus 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- In small bowl, stir together cereal and melted butter. Press in bottom and up side of ungreased 9-inch pie pan. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F. Bake crust 15 minutes. Sprinkle with one-third of the chopped chocolate.
- Meanwhile, in large heatproof bowl, mix cocoa and remaining chopped chocolate; reserve. In 1-quart heavy saucepan, heat half-and-half over medium-high heat until almost boiling. In medium heatproof bowl, beat sugar, egg and egg yolks with whisk until pale yellow. Slowly beat in half of the hot half-and-half, then stir egg mixture back into remaining half-and-half in saucepan. Reduce heat to medium. Heat mixture just to boiling. Cook, beating with whisk, about 1 minute or until thickened. Pour through sieve into reserved cocoa mixture; beat with whisk until smooth. Pour into crust; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Wipe out saucepan. Add 6 tablespoons cream. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Place vanilla baking chips and peanut butter in medium heatproof bowl. Pour hot cream on top and let stand until chocolate is melted, about 2 minutes; beat with whisk until smooth. Spread evenly over chilled pie. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- To serve, top servings of pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Tips
Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change. Also if you don't want to try the chex crust, you could use the crust from the last recipe, like a chocolate graham cracker crust.
And lastly, the cheesecake. Cheesecake really does require a spring form pan in order to work. I got a great set of three at TJ Maxx/Ross for really cheap.
GF Turtle Pumpkin Cheesecake
(For original recipe, visit the Pillsbury website here.)
Ingredients
Crust
- 1 1/2 cups thin chocolate wafer cookie crumbs (about 30 cookies) (There are a few different options for GF chocolate wafer cookies. Look in the natural section of your local grocery store or if need be, check out Whole Foods. If you have a really hard time finding them, GF graham crackers will work too. The ones I'm using are pictured above. The great thing about these is they come in a sturdy bag so you can crush them right in their own bag!)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
Filling
- 1/4 cup all-purpose GF flour (These have thankfully become readily available most places.)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 can (15 oz) pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 4 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
Topping
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted*
- 2 oz bittersweet baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup caramel topping (If to you're unable to find this GF, there are 2 options. First, you can try to find GF caramel candies and melt them down with a little butter, or second, you can use crock pot dulce de leche. Recipe for the below.)
Easy Crock Pot Dulce De Leche
Take a 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk and empty it into a 16oz canning jars (Mason jar, Bell jar, etc). Make sure the rim on the jar is clean and dry and tighten the lip on as tight as humanly possible. Put the jar in your crock pot and cover entirely with water. Let it sit on high for 4-6 hours.


No comments:
Post a Comment