In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, September 19, 2011

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Vanilla and Sage Brown Butter

Lately my sister has been trying to talk me into applying for The Next Food Network Star.  Although the idea of it sort of gives me a panic attack, I can't think of a more amazing job than cooking on TV.  I love to watch and daydream about what it would be like to create fun new recipes everyday for people to learn and enjoy.  However, I feel like I'm just an above-average home cook...certainly not a fancy gourmet chef.  I guess my style is more everyday home style meals, not something you'd find in a four star restaurant.  Not to say that I can't whip up something fancy every now and then, it's just not normally my style.

Last night, I decided to try my hand at fancy and it turned out pretty tasty so here it is.  I'm still not planning on making a submission video for the show or anything crazy...but maybe if an opportunity arose for culinary school, I'd change my mind.  :-)

Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Vanilla and Sage Brown Butter

3 large sweet potatoes
About 3.5-4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg
1 stick unsalted butter (must be real butter, no margarine)
4 fresh sage leaves
1/4 vanilla bean
Salt and pepper
Parmiggiano Reggiano

Bake sweet potatoes in the oven at 400 until cooked through, about 30-45 minutes.  (You can also cook them in the microwave in about 15 minutes.)  Allow potatoes to cool completely.  Peel and place potatoes in a large bowl.  Mash with a fork as much as possible.  Stir in egg.  Mix in flour about 1 cup at a time until the mixture is doughy but not sticky.  Avoid over kneading or you'll end up with tough gnocchi.  Once the dough is formed, let is rest on the counter under a clean bowl for about 30 minutes. 

Cut dough into fist size pieces and roll out into long snake-like pieces with your hands.  Cut each "snake" into bite-size pieces with a knife.  At this point, I like to use my finger to roll each piece down the back of a cheese grater, which just gives it a little bowl shape with a pretty design.  Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Once all gnocchi is cut and formed, cook in batches in boiling water.  It will only take about 2-3 minutes for them to be cooked through.  Remove from the water with a slotted spoon and add directly to sauce.

For sauce, in a large skillet or wok, melt butter over medium heat.  Cut vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds of into the butter.  Add whole vanilla and sage leaves to the butter. Heat about 7-8 minutes, whisking, until butter is slightly browned.  Remove vanilla bean and discard.  Serve gnocchi hot with the butter sauce, topped with fresh ground pepper and fresh grated parmiggiano reggiano.

(For a variation with meat, you'll need 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.  Place chicken in a baking dish and season with salt and pepper.  Top each chicken breast with 2 sage leaves and 1 Tbls butter.  Bake at 400 for about 10 minutes, or until cooked through to 180.  Remove from oven and set aside to cool.  Once chicken is cooled, shred with 2 forks or yours hands.  Add to the sauce with gnocchi.  This is actually how I made it last night and it was delicious.  The only reason I added the chicken is because in my husband's mind, it's not dinner if there's no meat.  :-)  Very good either way though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment