In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Complete Salad

I started subscribing to one of those organic home-delivery services a few weeks back. I absolutely love it, especially since it gives me an opportunity to try new things and branch out a little. This recipe came from an abundance of fruit and lettuce one day. Parker and I have been obsessed with this salad ever since then. I have literally made it at least 5 times in the past 2 or 3 weeks. Parker named this the "complete salad" because in his words, "it lacks nothing." :-)

1/4 C champagne vinegar
3 Tbls grapefruit juice (or any other citrus you have on hand)
1/2 C EVOO
1 apple
1 pear
1 avocado
3 Tbls goat cheese crumbles
2 Tbls pine nuts, toasted
2 Tbls raisins (I hate raisins. But they are good in this salad, I'm not gonna lie.)
About 4 big handfuls of mixed lettuce, chopped and rinsed (Use whatever you like. I think I used different mixes every time I made it)
Salt and pepper to taste

For the dressing, mix vinegar, citrus juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Core apple and pear and cut into bite-sized pieces. Cut avocado into bite-sized pieces. Toss lettuce with fruit, avocado, and dressing. Mix in goat cheese crumbles. Plate the salad and top with nuts and raisins.

To make a meal out of this, or just a fancy starter salad, top with skewered shrimp or grilled chicken.

GF as is. Omit goat cheese for dairy-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment