Ok before you dismiss this recipe, hear me out. I hate meatloaf. the whole concept of a "loaf of meat" sounds hugely unappealing to me. At least it was until I had the turkey meatlaof at The Flying Biscuit in Atlanta. It changed my life. At least, it changed my perspective on meatloaf. It wasn't some greasy or dry, flavorless hunk of beef made with ketchup and brown sugar. It was delicious. So I started looking at recipes and realized that meatloaf, done right, could be like a big delicious meatball. I absolutely love my turkey meatball recipe so I thought I'd try some similar flavors. Here's what I came up with and WOW! It will change your life. At least, it will definitely change your perspective on meatloaf.
Nic's Turkey Meatloaf
1-2 Tbls EVOO
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1/2 vidalia onion, finely chopped
2 Tbls sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (I actually used a spread that had sun-dried tomatoes and olives in it. Would highly recommend that if you can find in the Italian section of the grocery store.)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 roasted red pepper, finely chopped (Just use the kind in a jar, easy)
2 pinches dry oregano
2 pinches dry basil
2 pinches fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 pinches kosher salt
1 pinch pepper
1 egg
2 Tbls milk
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup breadcrumbs (For directions on how to make homemade, click here)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
2-3 Tbls shredded parmiggiano reggiano
1.25 lb ground turkey
1 240z can San Marzano tomatoes (whole plum tomatoes will work too)
Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan with Pam. In a large skillet, heat EVOO over medium heat. Saute celery, onion,sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper and garlic until celery and onions are soft, about 5-10 minutes. Add oregano, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper and saute an additional 2 minutes or so. Set aside and allow to cool. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the milk and ketchup and stir together to incorporate. Add turkey and mix with hands. Add breadcrumbs, mozzarella, parmiggiano and cooled vegetables. Mix with hands, taking care not to overmix it or it will become tough. Press into loaf pan and bake about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes, until edges are brown and meat is cooked through. (180 on a meat thermometer)
While loaf is cooking, place tomatoes in the skillet used for the vegetables over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper and break up tomatoes with a spoon. Once the begin to bubble, reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer about 20 minutes until they're reduced. Serve hot over meatloaf and potatoes.
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
3 large red potatoes
5 cloves garlic
3 Tbls butter, cut into slices
Salt and pepper
Take garlic and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Allow garlic to roast in oven with the meatloaf for an hour. When the garlic is ready, cut potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Add to a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until potatoes are cooked through. Drain water out and put potatoes back in the pot over medium heat with garlic and butter. Hand mash with a potato masher. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
(You can also mash them with a handmixer but if you have a hand masher, I think its easier and less mess.)
*GF/CF
Meatloaf:
For gluten-free, substitute GF breadcrumbs and ketchup in recipe. For casein/dairy-free, substitute unsweetened, unflavored soy or coconut milk for milk, omit parmiggiano, and either use a non-dairy mozarella substitute or omit. I made mine with coconut milk and coconut mozarella so that it was soy and dairy free. Delicious!
Potatoes:
For CF, use olive oil instead of butter.
No comments:
Post a Comment