In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Sweet "Child"

As couples battle infertility, most find that they have an amazing opportunity in the midst of their struggle to either grow closer together in their marriage or grow farther apart. I've seen couples that have let infertility ruin the intimacy in their marriage. I've seen couples that put their child before their marriage after trying for so long to have one, only to devastate their marriage and leave that child the product of a broken home. On the other end of the spectrum, I have also seen amazing instances of couples growing closer and reaching deeper levels of intimacy because of the trials they have endured together. Luckily, Parker and I have been blessed by the grace of God as the latter, having grown much closer over the past 2 years.

Another relationship where infertility can change the dynamics is that of man's best friend...or woman's best friend. When Parker and I got married, we had a dog named Hershey. Now we have a "son" named Hershey. Over the past 2 years, our relationship with our sweet English Springer Spaniel has grown as we look for outlets to share the love we have reserved for a child. He was always loved and taken care of but now he has truly become the most spoiled rotten dog that ever lived! When Parker leaves town for a night or a weekend, we debate on whether Hersh stays home with mom or goes away for a boys' weekend with dad. Every time I see a new cute bandana or dog outfit at the store, I have to buy it, despite the fact that he already has an extensive doggie wardrobe. Everything he does is cute enough to be photographed and when people show me pictures of their kids sitting on the Easter bunny's lap, I find myself whipping out my phone to show them pictures of my Hershey swimming in the lake or just laying on the kitchen floor.

You've seen kids in their cute little football jerseys or cheerleading uniforms? Yeah, Hersh has one of those too.


And we can't forget his Christmas outfit, complete with Santa coat and reindeer antlers. Don't let the somber face fool you, he really does love it.


He's also an die-hard Republican. Don't blame him for the budget deficits, he voted for McCain.


Though he loves his "special occasion" outfits, his everyday digs are one of his 20+ bandanas, which he picks out himself!


Last but certainly not least, my new personal favorite. Daddy can say what wants but a picture is worth a thousand words and this one cries out that my son is a mamma's boy.


Ok yeah, I'm a little crazy about my sweet Hersh but that's just how it goes sometimes. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment