Proverbs 31:15 says "she provides food for her family." Part of being a P31 wife is doing what I LOVE to do...cook! People ask me all the time for recipes but I'm really bad about writing them down. My sister suggested that I blog about them and I thought that that was such a fun idea! So much of what I write has to do with waiting for a baby but there's a lot of life that happens in between the waiting. The night before last I made a new dish that I thought was absolutely delicious (as did Collette and Parker!) so here it.
Before I dive in, let me go ahead and warn you that I'm not the best at exact measurements. A pinch of this and a handful of that is really as exact as I get most times. This happens to be the reason I prefer cooking to baking. So bear with me, try it out, and if you need something more exact, let me know. Be flexible because when I give an exact measurement, I'm really just guessing based on how much I used. Also, if you try one of my recipes and like it, please let me know!!
Chargrilled Pesto Turkey Flatbread
Pesto:
1 cup packed fresh basil
1/4 cup pine nuts
About 1/4 cup fresh parmiggiano reggiano (big chunk, not shredded)
2-3 cloves garlic
About 1/4-1/2 cup EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
Salt and pepper
Turkey:
1 turkey breast tenderloin
1/4 balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup EVOO
Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper
Other Ingredients:
1 pizza dough (I get mine at Publix, you can make your own or buy it at a pizza shop)
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1 thinly sliced sweet onion
Pinch of sugar (I use raw sugar but white is fine)
EVOO
To begin with, add a little EVOO to a saute pan. Over medium-low heat, caramelize onions with a pinch of sugar until soft and sweet. Prepare rest of flatbread while onions are caramelizing.
Marinate turkey breast (you can use chicken breast instead) in olive oil, vinegar and Italian seasoning for at least 30 min, up to overnight. Remove from marinade, season with salt and pepper, and grill until cooked through. When its done, let it sit for 5 minutes then slice thinly.
To make pesto, mix basil, pine nuts, cheese and garlic in food processor. Add olive oil to desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
Roll out pizza dough and season both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill bread on both sides until cooked through and slightly browned. This should only take about 2-3 minutes on each side if grill is around 350-375. Spread pesto over one side of cooked flatbread. Add caramelized onions. Layer with thinly sliced tomatoes, then thinly sliced turkey. Top with a little grated parmiggiano. Put back on grill and close cover for about 2-3 minutes to cook tomatoes and melt cheese. Be careful not to burn the bottom!
Serve with a nice bottle of red wine and think of me. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment