In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....
Monday, July 14, 2014
Long Lost Friend
Let's give this blog thing another shot, shall we? It's not like I ever intend on doing one random post a year. But like the many other unfinished projects in my life (my basement yoga studio, reorganization of my kitchen, too many sewing projects to counts, etc), this long lost friend gets forgotten as life gets in the way. Life is good and sweet with two kids. However, chaos has never dominated my days quite as much as it does now. The laundry and dinner are almost as demanding as the kids. I'm still trying to figure out the right balance between loving on my babies, keeping up with the housework, prioritizing my marriage, maintaining friendships, and oh yeah, finding a spare moment every now and then for myself. It's a journey. I'm guessing the P31 woman struggled at times too. You can't have a to do list a mile long without miscalculating priorities at times. But we learn as we go. In the span of time it's taken me to write this paragraph, I've already paused three times, to find sippy cups, wash and fill a baby pool and water table, and mediate an argument between my kids. Maybe this will be my obligatory annual random post and if so, that's fine. I'm learning to give myself grace, to not beat myself up about falling short of my ridiculously high standards. I'm learning that everything I thought about motherhood when I started this blog was probably false. But that's a post for another day (or another year). For now, the reason I've put forth the effort to remember my password and try to form coherent sentences is because I'm cooking again. Cooking like I like to cook, with passion and creativity. I didn't stop on purpose but the past two years have been chaos for me. Not all bad things, in fact most were good. Things like a new baby, a new home, and two mission trips. Of course there have been challenging things too, like financial issues, a surprise c-section 4 days after moving, medical scares, a defiant toddler, and a baby that cries all day everyday for almost a year and a half. Whether it was circumstantial or simply a post-partum hormonal imbalance, I experienced that heartbreak that is post-partum depression. But with a little medication, a whole lot of Jesus, and an amazing husband and small group, I think we're finally past that as well. (Yet another post in and of itself but again, we'll save that for another time). I will try to keep up with some of my new recipes first and foremost because they're freaking good. But if you know me at all, you know that cooking isn't just about the food for me. It's about nourishing mind, body, and soul. It's about making my family and friends understand how much I love them. It's about warming my home with the presence of these people I love by luring them in with the promise of a home-cooked meal. It's about welcoming my small group into the loving presence of fellow believers with the smell of fresh-baked bread. Cooking for people is so much a part of how God created me to love others that I can't write about food without my writing spilling over into every aspect of my life. So if you're one of the many (just kidding, there's like 3) that have asked me to keep up with my blog again, bare with me as I try to work this into the randomness that rules my world. And if you didn't ask, but end up enjoying it anyways, let me know! I'm a words of affirmation gal. ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment