In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, July 14, 2014

Balsamic Eggplant Penne

This recipe started out as a way to use an eggplant that was about to go bad. Halfway through throwing random ingredients in the pot, I thought to myself "What the heck are you doing? This is going to be disgusting!" But I kept going because I had to get dinner on the table! Turns out, it was sort of awesome. Actually, really awesome. Like slap your mamma good. The next day my friend Stephanie came by and hadn't had lunch so I gave her leftovers. She loved it and demanded the recipe. ;-) I've already made it 3 more times. Seriously.


Balsamic Eggplant Pasta


3/4 C balsamic vinegar
1/4 C EVOO
1/2 onion, diced (I've used red and Vidalia, both delicious)
1 eggplant, diced small
1/2 C vodka
1-2 finely shredded carrots
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 C packed fresh basil, chopped
2-3 handfuls of shredded pecorino romano (or parmiggiano reggiano)
1 block mozzarella, diced
1 box short pasta, like penne or rotini


In a small saucepan, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until reduced by half. Cook pasta in salted water until slightly undercooked. Since this dish is baked, the pasta will continue to cook in the oven. Meanwhile, in a large pot sauté diced onion and eggplant in EVOO over medium-high heat until soft. Add vodka and heat to boiling. Continue on medium-high heat until vodka has reduced by half. Add carrots and tomatoes and simmer another 10 minutes or so, until they are soft. Add basil, cheese (reserving enough for topping), and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add about half of the balsamic reduction and mix in cooked pasta. Spread mixture into a casserole dish, top with the rest of the cheese, and drizzle the rest of the balsamic on top. Place in the oven under low broil until hot and bubbly.


*I threw in a couple of my spinach/kale cubes and you never would've known. I would highly recommend. For more info, click here.


**For GF, just use a GF pasta. My favorite is Tinkyada. It has the most "real" taste and texture, and it holds up pretty well to baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment