In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Friday, February 24, 2012

Mayo-Free Spinach and Artichoke Dip

The only thing I hate more than mayonnaise is warm mayonnaise...gross. I love spinach and artichoke dip but just about every recipe I've ever tried has mayo in it and once I know how much is in there, I usually can't eat it. So I set out to make my own version, hold the mayo. I don't think you'll miss it.

Mayo-Free Spinach and Artichoke Dip

4 Tbls butter
1/2 C chopped sweet onion (about half a medium onion)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 10oz container frozen spinach (thaw and squeeze out all excess liquid)
1 8.5oz can quartered artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
3 Tbls flour
1 1/2 C milk
1 ts dry basil
1/2 C grated parmigiano reggiano, plus 1 Tbls
1/2 C grated pecorino romano, plus 1 Tbls
1/4 C grated mozzarella, plus 1 Tbls
1 ts red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper

In a large saute pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add spinach and artichoke and sauté another 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir to incorporate fully. Add milk about 1/4 cup at a time, stirring until it thickens. Once all the milk is incorporated, add basil, 1/2 C parm, 1/2 C pecorino, 1/4 C mozzarella, and red pepper. Stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Spray an oven-proof baking dish with non-stick spray. Pour mixture into dish. Top with remaining cheese. Broil on high for about 3-5 minutes, until top is slightly browned and bubbly. Serve with bread for dipping. Sliced french bread, bread chips (found in most bakeries), pita triangles, and pita chips all work well.

You can make this ahead of time and refrigerate until ready before you place it in the oven. May need a little extra time in the oven to heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment