In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, August 15, 2011

Cabo Bound

Last weekend, Parker and I went away for the first time without the baby.  He had a seminar that he was speaking at up at Chateau Elan, which is only about 30 or 40 min from our house.  We decided it was a great first weekend away since we would be so close that if I absolutely couldn't stand it any longer, I could always come home early.  Next month is our 5 year wedding anniversary so we have always wanted to do something special for it.  We figured Chateau Elan would be a good "test weekend."

Parker went up early Friday morning and I left around lunchtime.  When I got to the hotel, he asked me if I wanted to go have lunch with him and the other attorneys from the seminar.  I said no.  No offense, but the last thing I want to do on my vacation is hang out with a bunch of attorneys!  So they went and I got settled in the room.  I thought about what I would like to do and it actually took me a while to figure it out!  I didn't have to worry about nap or feeding schedules, I could eat whatever and whenever I wanted...pretty different than the past 4 months!  That lunch was one of the highlights of the trip for me.  I went to one of the small restaurants on site, had a little wine tasting and a delicious (expensive!) lunch.  I drank a nice glass of chardonnay and read a book, taking my time to enjoy my food and my wine.  It was so relaxing.

The rest of the weekend, we pretty much just hung out and enjoyed each other's company.  We slept in, hung out by the pool, read together in the room and talked about everything and nothing.  It was so nice to reconnect with my hubby.  I definitely missed Mary Elizabeth but had so much fun with Parker that I didn't mind being away from her.  I also had such a huge peace of mind knowing that she was with my mom and in great hands.

By Sunday morning, I was ready to come home and see her.  I think I could've stayed longer but knowing that I was going home to see her (and seeing how there's not too much to do there), I woke up refreshed and ready to come home.  That week, we booked our trip to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico for next month!  This time, we'll be gone an entire week.  I am a little nervous about how much I will miss her.  However, I know that she'll be fine here with my mom.  She probably won't even miss me and will never remember that we left.  Even though I cherish every moment with her, one week in her life right is not as important as investing one week into my marriage.  I keep telling myself that what's good for the marriage is good for the baby because the best thing we can give to our children are 2 parents who love each other.

We leave Saturday Sept 10 before she wakes up and will get home Saturday Sept 17, probably after she goes to sleep.  Part of me is so excited, I can barely think about anything else.  The other part is very nervous about...everything.  I'm a worrier, that's what I do.  I'm worried something will happen and we'll be so far from home.  I worry about her forgetting me (stupid, I know).  I worry about my milk drying up (even though I plan on pumping the whole time).  I worry I haven't stored enough milk for her (even though I've already counted and know I have plenty).  I worry I'll miss her so much that I won't be able to have fun.  I worry, I worry, I worry.  It is funny because we're staying in our timeshare, which we paid for months ago.  We bought plane tickets using miles so it only cost $150 total for both of us.  This could be one of the cheapest vacations we'll ever take!  It just sort of worked out really well.  So I'm stepping out on faith, handing it over to the Lord and just praying for a great week with my hubby.  If all else fails, maybe a few margaritas will chill me out a little bit.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment