In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Friday, April 15, 2011

Weeks 2 and 3

I'm trying to keep up with blogging as much as possible but I'm not going to lie, its a little difficult when you have a newborn that wants to be held all the time. Especially when you're the type of mom that always wants to hold her! Lately, she's really enjoyed curling up on my chest, face down, with her little hands under her face. She can be super fussy and I'll put her in that position and she falls asleep immediately. It is the sweetest thing. We're starting to get into a little bit more predictable schedule, which is nice. She eats every 3 hours during the day and sleeps for usually 5 hours at a time at night. She would sleep longer than that if her mom and dad weren't paranoid about her starving to death in her sleep! But we won't let her go more than 6 hours without eating at night. I think I'm going to start slowly stretching that out this week.

We had quite a scare the night before last. I was feeding her and getting her ready for bed when she projectile vomited everything she had eaten. That day, I had been peed on, pooped on and then ended the day by being vomited upon. I told Parker that my initiation into mommyhood must be complete! It was definitely a scary moment for this first-time mom. I think I was already a little on edge because I'd had to take her to the doctor for blocked tear ducts last week. I hated seeing her upset at the doctor and I worried that she was in pain. When she got sick last night, I was worried I'd have to take her back. I thought all the worst, worrying that she was already sick at such a young age or that it was my fault for eating something that disagreed with her. After that, I was afraid to put her down to sleep, thinking she would do it again and choke. Parker shared my fears so I let her sleep in my arms for about an hour before I felt comfortable putting her down. Then when I finally did put her down, I slept with one eye open all night listening for choking or any other sounds of distress. Its amazing how many nights I wake up wondering if she's breathing or if I've somehow fallen asleep while nursing her and am smothering her in the bed somewhere. As much as I worry though, the scare I had a few weeks before she was born has really made me understand what it means to give my fears and worries to the Lord. I think its probably one of the more valuable lessons I've learned in my life...though I guess its still my nature to worry a little. :-)

I love learning about her personality as she's growing. She's already changing a lot physically and has actually outgrown a few onsies. She's still pretty small though and is still in the newborn size clothes and diapers. There have been a few times where she has smiled in response to my smile or my voice. It absolutely melts my heart. I can't wait for her to start smiling all the time and reacting to me and Parker. At the same time, I don't want to wish away this sweet, cuddly stage.

I'm starting to read to her a little bit. I have yet to read the book "Guess How Much I Love You" without crying. Maybe one day! We still take about 5 pictures every day because everything she does is so adorable! Hopefully, I will be as good about taking pictures of our other kids!

Parker continues to amaze me everyday with his love for her. He still rushes home everyday to see her and he comes home for lunch almost everyday. He even told me the other day that he enjoys changing diapers! He said that he feels like its the only thing he can do since he can't feed her. He's so great about cuddling her and protecting her. I'm excited to introduce her to a bottle (of breast milk) so that he can experience feeding her as well. He is already talking constantly about our next baby. He would start trying again right now if we could!

This week was a week of firsts, as I imagine many will be. Yesterday we went on our first walk outside. I took Mary Elizabeth to the park and walked for about 40 minutes, working on getting my body back! She seemed to enjoy it, as she slept the whole time. We also had our first bath this week after her umbilical cord fell out. She absolutely loved it! She just kicked around and relaxed, content to stay in there for as long as I would let her.

I have absolutely been loving being a mom and learning how to raise my sweet little girl. One verse that I've really enjoyed the last few weeks is Psalm 113:9 "He settles the childless woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the Lord." I recognize that Mary Elizabeth is a direct answer to prayer, as is this time that I have to be with her at home. Even though my days are filled with mostly dirty diapers and a hungry, crying baby, I could not be happier. I try to think back to all the emotions I had during my time of waiting and especially my time of loss. It makes me appreciate every part of being a mom, even the messy parts. God is so good.

Newborn photo session with Paige. More pictures coming soon!


Happy mom.


First bath. Nothing better than smelling a newborn after a bath!



Sweet snuggly baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment