In my late 20s, I finally discovered the answer to the lifelong question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife, a Wife of Noble Character. Thus, my journey begins....

Monday, July 2, 2012

Adios Espana!

This morning we had to meet in the lobby at 5am. I knew it was going to be a long day. Travel was trying, almost missing our first flight, having to rearrange almost every single packed bag in order to meet the weight requirement. We had 3 hours layover in Madrid, of which we used just about every minute getting bags, re-checking in, taking a bus to another terminal, going through customs, finding our gate, and trying to savor one last meal and Spanish coffee. Parker and I were one of the first on the plane from Madrid to Atlanta, not taking any chances of missing it and delaying our reunion with Mary Elizabeth. The flight seemed forever long, 9 hours dragging out in 15 minute increments. By the time we got to Atlanta, I was so tired, and sick, and physically drained. But then I saw her. I saw my daughter before she saw me and I almost knocked a woman over to get to her. When she saw me, her face was first a look of shock and disbelief. Then she got the biggest smile and literally screamed out loud for joy. I picked her up and she just held on to me, not wanting to get down or go to her daddy (sorry Parker!). She just wanted her mamma. She actually missed me, maybe as much as I missed her. As I write this, I've been home for 3 days and I'm still soaking her up, savoring her minute with her in my arms. I missed her so much more than I let myself feel, probably in an effort to be able to withstand the 11 days away.
I already can't speak Spanish again. A few of my new friends have posted messages on my wall, of which I understand about half of it and can't reply to save my life. I still can't believe its over. I can hardly believe it even happened. As we were driving back from the airport, I thought, "Didn't we just do this? Didn't we just make this drive, just in the opposite direction?" It flew by so fast, it seems like a dream.
To anyone that reads this that contributed to my trip, either financially or in prayer, thank you. Seriously, tremendously, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for giving me the opportunity to do this and experience God outside the boundaries of my own personal comfort zone. You've helped me realize that I can do this, even with children and a job and a life back home, and that the small sacrifice of time, effort, and resources is nothing compared to the impact it has generationally on the Kingdom of God. Truly, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment